Home Adopt A Cat Adopt A Dog Donate Memorials Upcoming Events Merchandise Volunteering Fostering Contact Us

These precious friends left their paw prints on our hearts.
We honour them here with their stories and look forward to seeing them again at Rainbow Bridge.

If you would like to post a memorial for your pet, please send an e-mail to inquiries@dunroaminstrayandrescue.com.


"They that love beyond the world, cannot be separated. Death cannot kill what never dies. Nor can Spirits ever be divided that love and live in the same Divine Principle; the Root and Record of their Friendship. Death is but crossing the world, as Friends to the seas; they live in one another still." ~ William Penn

"Screech" was about one or two years old when she was originally rescued from the Woodstock area where she was hanging around an apartment looking for food and  warmth to help her combat the cold winter temperatures.  On December 22, 2006, she was brought to DunRoamin' for help.  She had already been declawed, and was very sociable.  She was named because of her voice!  She was adopted to a home in Grafton, but on May 18, 2011, she was returned because she was vomiting and not using the litter box. 

Screech was diagnosed with a bladder infection which was treated, and she was back to good health in a few days.  She had several recurrences, and eventually became much more sick. All avenues were attempted to cure this beautiful little girl, but on January 11, 2012, she succumbed to her disease.
We are so sad without you, Screech. We'll miss you so very much. You will never be forgotten.

"Cornelius" was brought to us on January 19, 2012 by a person from Hartland who stated that he was a stray who was three and a half years old that she had found on her doorstep. Cornelius was emaciated, dehydrated, has fleas, pale gums and had not been eating. He was in serious condition and had been that way for quite some time.

Cornelius's vet team did everything they could for him, but sadly, it was too late. His kidneys had sustained much too much damage, and it was impossible for him to heal. He passed away on January 19, 2012, warm and loved in the arms of compassionate vet staff. He's feeling much better now, and we'll see him again at Rainbow Bridge.

"Lenore" was born in the spring of 1992 in Riverbank, NB. She lived the first nine years of her life on a farm where she endeared herself to all - people, dogs, cats and cows alike. She was a great friend to her human cousins as she watched them grow up. She stayed toasty warm in the winters by jumping softly onto the backs of cows where she would curl up for a catnap while absorbing their body heat. A white cat who spent much time out in the sun, the tips of her tiny pink ears were susceptible to sunburn, and as a result she developed cancer on both of them. She underwent surgery to remove the cancer, which remained at bay until 2011, when it returned.

Lenore was sweet, intelligent, loving and widely know as "the best kitty ever." Her loving personality earned her many friends and she was well loved by her extended feline and human family as well. She liked to sleep at night with her head and front paws in her mother's hand, and routinely purred the whole family to sleep.

Lenore left us on January 22, 2012 at the age of 19 3/4 years. Each day of her life she gave love, laughter, joy and serenity to everyone who knew her. Dean Koontz wrote of his dog, Trixie, "Beauty without vanity/Strength without insolence/Courage without ferocity/She brought joy and meaning." This describes Lenore as well. Thank you for everything, Lenore. "We'll meet again/Don't know where, don't know when/But I know we'll meet again/Some sunny day."

On January 11, 2006, Simon got the attention of a nice lady in Centreville by trying to break into her home for food and warmth. She took him in, but her own cat would not tolerate him at all. Dr Drost immediately drove to Centreville to retrieve him from her basement where she had kept him warm, fed and safe. Simon had a serious eye injury which had become infected and required surgery, as well as several other medical problems which were subsequently remedied.

Simon had a personality all his own, and would quickly let you know if he liked you or not. He tried living with a school teacher in Florenceville, but it was just not a match. On March 7, 2006 he introduced himself to a teacher from Plaster Rock and indicated that he might like to allow him to be his caregiver. Thus began a long and beautiful friendship for both, and he got a new name: Hagrid.

Sadly, on February 13, 2012, after almost six years of bliss with his best friend, Hagrid passed away. He could not have lived a better life, as he was well loved by his family, friends, and vet staff, and we're grateful to know that one day we'll see him again.

"Bruce" came to DunRoamin' on June 24, 2009 from Perth-Andover where he was a stray who had been found with abscesses, broken teeth and an infected eye. He was probably about nine years of age or older, and had obviously lived a hard life trying to survive on his own. He was a loving and grateful little boy who was so amazingly fortunate to meet two people who could not have loved him more. On August 14, 2009, Bruce went to live with them in Plaster Rock along with their numerous other rescued cats. Even though Bruce eventually had to have his other eye removed, he found his way around his home with no problem and gave his love to his faithful family each and every day.

Bruce left us on February 13, 2012, a sad day for his family and friends. We are grateful that he was able to experience the very best in life and that he had more love than he could ever have dreamed. "If there is a heaven, it's certain our animals are to be there. Their lives become so interwoven with our own, it would take more than an archangel to detangle them." (Pam Brown). We will miss you, Bruce, until we see you again at Rainbow Bridge.

"Boots" came to the Florenceville Veterinary Clinic in February, 1999. As her owners were unable to care for her any longer, she was due to be euthanized. She was a beautiful cat with a wonderful personality, and her vet just couldn't bring herself to do it. She asked to have Boots and was pleased when her request was accepted. Boots was the very first stray to be taken in by Dr Drost and what would eventually become DunRoamin' Stray and Rescue.

Boots was treated for ear mites, dewormed, vaccinated and spayed. She lived at the Clinic for about five months until she was fortunate enough to be accepted into the loving home of an older couple in Riverbank. She shared her life with them every day where she displayed her love, gratitude and sense of humour.

In February, 2012, Boots came back to the Clinic. She was very sick, not eating and her eyesight had deteriorated due to old age. Sadly, some things just can't be fixed, and Boots passed away on February 16, 2012, almost exactly 13 years from the date that she came to us. She was a beautiful girl who was fortunate to have found the perfect family, and they were blessed with her presence and her love.

"Seven" came from Moose Mountain, NB in May, 2001. She was very sick with a parvo virus infection which causes extreme vomiting and diarrhea. Her vet was not even sure she could save her, but with large doses of skill, dedication, antibiotics and IVs, was able to nurse her back to health. Seven was only a few months old, and would never have survived on her own.

Seven eventually became completely healthy and joined her vet's family where she lived happily. Over the years, she welcomed dozens of foster dogs into her pack and taught them all the things they'd need to know in order to become family dogs. She enjoyed frequent outings to schools to visit children, whether she was invited or not! She loved people, other dogs, walks, bed mice, chasing the kong, car rides, her human and canine family, and life in general.

On March 10, 2012, Seven succumbed to a tumour on her spleen. She was about 11 years old, and we know she is grateful for the family who gave her the life she deserved. Your whole family misses you, Seven. We'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge.

In memory of "Dulcie," forever-loved friend of the MacInnis Family:

"Hear and bless thy beasts and singing birds
And guard with tenderness
Small things that have no words"

6 Apr 2012

"Declan" came to DunRoamin' on the late evening of December 20, 2011 from Muniac. His right hind leg was mostly missing, and a sharp triangular piece of bone about 3 - 4 inches long was protruding from his hip. His tail was also injured to the point that it fell off shortly after his arrival.

Declan was about a year and a half old and was without question one of the most affectionate cats we've ever met, and we've met a lot of affectionate cats!! Even though he must have been in extreme pain, while being examined by his vet he kneaded his paws, well aware that he was safe and being cared for at last. He underwent surgery to remove his leg, and he recuperated very well - so well that on April 2, 2012, he began his new life with his permanent family in Keswick Ridge where he was extremely well loved.

We're so sad to report that on April 26, 2012, Declan passed away suddenly. His family is heartbroken, as is the entire DunRoamin' family. We know you're romping happily, climbing trees and chasing toys while waiting for all your family and friends at Rainbow Bridge, and we'll see you again, Declan. We love you.

On May 25, 2012, "Berkley" came to DunRoamin' when Vet Clinic staff exited the building to find a box of four baby kittens on the steps where they had been left during the day with no notice. Berkley, her sister 'Puter and brothers Cheshire and Harvard were only about five-and-a-half weeks old. They had fleas, worms and were very small.

Berkley was in the worst shape of all of them. She apparently hadn't been eating, and still didn't want to. She and her siblings were treated and taken as foster kittens by a Vet Tech to ensure they had 24-hour medical care and the very best chance to survive.

On the morning of May 28, 2012, we were saddened to learn that little Berkley had been unable to recover from her poor start. She will be missed by her family and the friends she made during her short time with us. She thanks the Vet Tech for all her love and effort, and knows she'll see her friends and family again at Rainbow Bridge.

"Ike" became a part of Dr Drost's family in the early spring of 2011, as no one appeared to want him. He had been abandoned on the Royal Road in Fredericton with his two dog friends and had taken shelter from the cold wind and snow by crawling under a house. The SPCA had rescued them and his two friends quickly found homes, but Ike was more than 14 years old, was blind and was becoming deaf - the kind of dog that only truly special people can appreciate. In Dr Drost's home, Ike learned to be very happy and she became his seeing-eye person. Her other dogs recognized his special needs and were tolerant when he sometimes stepped on them by mistake. Ike loved company and loved to greet guests at the door, his tail wagging in pleasure.

On June 4, 2012, Ike's previous hard life and old age finally took their toll. We know that the love he showed his family in his last year proves his gratitude for all they have done for him. He was a good dog who was finally loved and appreciated as he should have been all his life, and his best revenge was living well. He was very fortunate to have found his forever home at last. He will not be forgotten.

"Nolan" came to us on June 1, 2012 from Bristol where he had been struck by a car. He was only about seven months old, and his owner had had him for less than two weeks when he was struck by a car. His owner did not believe in spending money on dogs, and wanted to euthanize him. Nolan was just a young puppy, and he deserved a chance at life. Thankfully, he was surrendered to DunRoamin' where his vet team went to work to help him. He was in shock, and was placed on fluids and pain medications. His pelvis was badly broken into shards of bone, and Nolan was neither neutered nor vaccinated. He was a very nice little shepherd mix.

We're sad to learn that as a result of complications of his injury, Nolan left us on the afternoon of June 5, 2012. We know that he's waiting at Rainbow Bridge, where Seven and Ike are watching over him until he sees his vet friends again. Although they only knew him for four days, they loved him, and he'll remember them as they remember him.

"Cato" and his sister "Posey" were two of six four-week-old baby kittens who had been abandoned in the Arthurette area. Their rescuers were overrun with strays they were trying to care for, so these six came to DunRoamin' on May 15, 2012. They were very grateful and loving, and although they had had a poor start in life, it was hoped they might become big and strong little cats.

We were devastated to learn that on June 8, 2012, both Cato and Posey passed away. Although they gave their very best, they were not able to overcome their poor start. Their feline family and their human family miss them dearly. We're glad they got to know the love and compassion of their foster family whom they'll see again some day at Rainbow Bridge.

"Charisma" came to DunRoamin' on November 28, 2011 from Rowena, north of Perth-Andover, where she was a stray. It was very cold, she had not been allowed inside for warmth, and may have been abused at one time. She was born about May, 2010.

Charisma had already been spayed, but she had worms which were immediately treated. She was very, very matted which would have prevented her fur from performing its job of keeping her warm, and the temperatures were very cold for November. Charisma, as a result, was freezing as well as starving. Her matts had to be shaved off since they were so thick. She's very affectionate, and at first she couldn't seem to get enough food into her. She's a very quiet little cat who likes to sit and keep people company and purr for them. She also loves to be picked up and cuddled.

Sadly, Charisma was diagnosed with an incurable disease. She left us on June 15, 2012, but in her time with us, she was well loved. Because of the Florenceville Vet Clinic and DunRoamin’ Stray and Rescue, she experienced all the things she deserved to know – the pleasure of curling up for a long nap in a safe place on a soft warm bed, abundant food, ever-present love, often-expressed affection, compassion, adoring friends, the delight of feline companionship and many other things that are all too easily taken for granted. We miss you already, little girl. We'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge.

"Fitch" came to us on July 18, 2011 from the Jacksonville area where he had been found lying flat on a cold driveway.  He was not in good health and had an eye injury and a sinus infection which gave him trouble breathing.  He was probably born about the first of June 2011.

Fitch was brought for help and received medical treatment. He may have had an immune system deficiency which would not allow him to maintain his health. He was fostered by the family who found him, but although he did very well, he was never 100% healthy. He lived with his foster family for almost a year, but as his condition deteriorated, he returned to us for more intensive care. He lived in FVC's cat-quarium where he got to meet many people. He loved weekends when he could run and play in the huge reception area with Copper and the kittens, and he had humans who would throw his ball for him over and over and over, and he loved it!

On June 27, 2012, Fitch's condition got to the point where he was not comfortable. He left us in the early morning, and we're very sad. We will see you again at Rainbow Bridge, Fitch. In the meantime, have a great time playing with your tinkle ball.

"Scrat" and his sister Lorelei came to us on July 3, 2012 from the Watson Settlement area where they had been found. Their mother was dead, and they were very weak and needed help. They were immediately taken in, warmed up and fed by syringe. They were only about a week old, and we don't know how long they were without their mother. They were bottle fed and given the best of chances, but sadly, Scrat was not able to thrive, and he passed away on the evening of July 3, 2012.

We're grateful that he was warm and had a full belly, and that he had the love of people who truly cared about him. He will be missed by his sister Lorelei and all the friends who came to know him in his short time with us.


"Savage" came to DunRoamin' on July 9, 2012 from the Centreville area. His stray mom and two siblings were being cared for by a kind man, but little Savage was only half the size of his siblings. He weighed in at only 1.6 pounds, and he's about eight weeks old - much smaller than he should be.

Savage had extremely bad earmites and a bad upper respiratory infection. He was very fortunate to have been brought for help. His vet team did their best to make him healthy and happy as soon as possible, and his saviour will take care of his mom and siblings.

We're very sad to report that Savage left us on the morning of July 11, 2012. Even with the best of care, he was unable to overcome his afflictions. We're grateful that he was warm, safe, pain free and had a full belly. He's fine now, and we'll see him again at Rainbow Bridge.

"Jackson" came to DunRoamin' on July 5, 2012 from the Jacksonville area where he had been found under a pile of brush where he had been laying, perhaps for some time. He had been screaming, and some kind people finally found him. Jackson was a senior citizen and may have been about 15 years old. He had not had good things happen to him in recent times. He had several wounds and abscesses near his tail, had lice, ticks, pressure sores, bad tartar on his teeth, hair loss from the chafing of his collar and also had anal tumours. Jackson couldn't walk or even stand up.

He was immediately accepted by DunRoamin' and FVC staff went to work to do their very best by him. He was given lots of food, a warm soft bed and everything that he deserved and desired. Sadly, he left us on July 14, 2012. We are grateful that he knew comfort, love and compassion at least for a few days. We thank all who got to know him, cared for him, prayed for him and loved him. We'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge, Jackson.

"Danica" came to us from near an apartment complex in Jacksonville on July 10, 2012. She was born about April 20, 2012. She and her mom were living in the woods near the home of a young lady who noticed that Danica had a problem and immediately brought her for help. Danica was examined at which time it was determined that she had an extremely bad umbilical abscess, a high fever, fleas, and was thin and dehydrated.

Danica was given pain medications, antibiotics, parasite control and laser treatment in hopes of fixing her wound. She's a beautiful little girl who would appreciate a chance to live in a loving foster home or a permanent home.

We're sad to report that on July 23, 2012, Danica left us. She was unable to overcome her infection despite the best of care and most heroic of attempts. We're glad she had DunRoamin' and Florenceville Vet Clinic friends to love her while she was here, and we'll all look forward to seeing her again at Rainbow Bridge.

"Lorelei" and her brother Scrat came to us on July 3, 2012 from the Watson Settlement area where they had been found. Their mother was dead, and they were very weak and needed help badly. They were immediately taken in, warmed up and fed by syringe. Sadly, Scrat was not thriving at all, and he passed away on the evening of July 3, 2012.

Lorelei was fostered by a vet tech so she could get all the intensive professional care she could in order to be able to beat the great odds that were against her. She was only about 7 - 10 days old.

We're very sad to report that on July 31, 2012, Lorelei left us. She is dearly missed by her foster mother who loved her so very much. She was not a "foster kitten," but a truly-loved family member. We're sad that she was not able to stay with us, but are comforted to know that she had the very best of love and care in the short time she had with us. Her little paws walked across the hearts of many. She brought smiles on the saddest of days and her eyes could melt your heart in seconds. Rest in peace, Little Bug, you are deeply missed.

On July 23, 2012, four little one-week-old kittens ("Finn," "Kurt," "Kenzie" and "Quinn") came to DunRoamin' from McKenzie Corner, NB. They had no mother - she was either dead or missing, and they were in danger of dying without her. They were very tiny, cold and very hungry. Being so young, they were not yet versed in the ways of eating, peeing or pooping on their own - they needed a mom to teach them that.

So, absent that mom, two young vet techs took on the responsibility of caring for these little ones, which meannt feeding them by syringe every few hours and stimulating them to pee and poop, as well as bathing them, keeping them warm and ensuring they were thriving as they should. It's a big responsibility, and we're all grateful for their efforts. We're sad to report that on August 19, 2012, Kenzie and Quinn, the two females, passed away despite all the love, assistance and medical care they received. Sometimes it's just not meant to be, but we're glad these two little ones had the chance to know what a caring family felt like.

Kris, Khloe, Kim and Kourtney, the Katashian Kittens, came to us on Saturday, July 7, 2012 from Woodstock where they were living with their mother under a store on Main Street. Fortunately, an employee was keeping an eye on them and realized that one had a problem with his leg. Their mother was feral,and the kittens were about four and a half weeks old.

Kris was born with a congenital deformity in his right hind leg. His knee had no muscle and he dragged it behind him. Our vets went to work to help him and his leg was taped with a splint in the hopes that it might develop and he will be able to use it. His siblings were very protective of him. If he meowed, they all came running to his side and covered him up by laying on or against him to make sure he's warm. We're very sad to report that Kris, Khloe and Kim all passed away between August 12 - 18, 2012. We're grateful they knew love, warm bellies and security in their short lives. Kourtney misses them each and every day.

A note to Bourbon, who passed away on September 12, 2012:

Bourbon, I have to take comfort in knowing that you were warm, fed, clean and very much loved in the end. Your story is a mystery. All we know is that some lady wanted to be rid of you and was willing to throw you away like trash.

Thank goodness for one very kind vet who has more compassion than you could ever comprehend. We had two wonderful weeks together. Never have I met a kitten with so much charm! You would snuggle under my chin and press your nose to my lips for a kiss.

My heart breaks with the loss of my Bourbon Boy, but I take comfort in you knowing what it felt like to be loved in the end. You'll never be forgotten.

Rest in peace, Bourbon Boy.

When I met Nala it was love at first sight. She had a unique personality and loved to cuddle. She and her sister, Sticky, came to live with us seventeen years ago and worked their way into our hearts. We will all miss you and you will be forever in our hearts.

The Hebert Family Sep 2012

"Lucy" came back to DunRoamin' on October 8, 2012. She had originally come to DunRoamin' about 10 years ago and had been adopted out. Recently she had succumbed to some medical problems which included diabetes. She was put on a diet of special diabetic food and was initially doing well.

We're sad to say that complications involving her liver arose and nothing more could be done to make her comfortable. Lucy left us on October 28, 2012, a sunny Sunday afternoon with a cool breeze in her fur, birds, grass, sunshine in her face and friends beside her. Say hi to your brother Dezi for us, Lucy. We miss you both.

"Christina" came to us on October 5, 2012 from the Lindsay area where she had been a stray. She was about ten years old and was not in good shape. She was in kidney failure, was emaciated, had oral ulcers and some of her teeth were missing.

Christina got all medical assistance possible. She's very sweet, gentle and grateful for all the help she's getting. She was fostered at the home of a vet tech to ensure all her medical needs were cared for 24 hours each day.

In the early morning of October 29, 2012 Christina passed away and it broke our hearts. We're grateful she was with us and was able to be warm, safe and loved in her last few days. We won't forget you, Christina. We'll see you at Rainbow Bridge.

"Cougar" came to DunRoamin' on October 21, 2012 from Woodstock where he was observed as a stray who was hanging out along the riverbank. His rescuers tried for three days to help him and eventually were able to bring him to us. Cougar was in really rough shape. He's at least 14 years old and may be as old as 19. He had very few teeth left, was extremely emaciated (starving), terribly dehydrated, had badly infected eyes and a serious upper respiratory infection. His pupils were dilated and he had a scratch on one cornea. His toenails were so long they actually curved back around so that his gait was affected. His temperature registered only 33*C (it should be at least 38*C) and his kidneys were not healthy. We're glad he finally made his way to us to have a chance to be warm, fed, medicated and on his way to better days.

On November 5, 2012 Cougar left us. Despite all medical intervention, he was unable to recover from the trials he had experienced. We know he's grateful for the love and care he received while he was here, including the long talks and cuddles with vet staff and DunRoamin' volunteers who loved him. We will remember, Cougar. Rest well.

This is "Elvira." She came to us from Woodstock on October 27, 2012 where she was found on the side of a street wrapped in a blanket. She was only about four months old, had tapeworms, fleas, earmites and a large umbilical abscess. This abscess definitely required medical attention which she immediately received, thanks to the people who rescued her. She's a little sweetheart who was only just beginning to realize what care and compassion were. Sadly, she was only able to experience this bliss for a little more than a week.

On November 5, 2012 Elvira passed away despite all attempts to make her better. She knew love and compassion in those last days and we're all grateful that she had the opportunity to be warm, safe and loved in her last days. We won't forget you, Elvira.

Daisy came into our home as a tiny puppy after being abandoned at a local dump. But this awful beginning never stopped her from becoming a kind, gentle dog who loved to be around people.  Saying goodbye was so hard but John and I both know that, after all she gave to us, Daisy deserved the comfort and the rest she received at the end.  Rest well, Daisy, the house is too quiet without you. Nov 2012

Back to the Top

♥ This website lovingly created and maintained by DunRoamin' volunteers ♥
We welcome your comments at feedback@dunroaminstrayandrescue.com