Home Adopt A Cat Adopt A Dog Donate Memorials Upcoming Events Merchandise Volunteering Fostering Contact Us

These precious friends left their paw prints on our hearts.
We honour them here with their stories and look forward to seeing them again at Rainbow Bridge.

If you would like to post a memorial for your pet, please send an e-mail to inquiries@dunroaminstrayandrescue.com


"They that love beyond the world cannot be separated. Death cannot kill what never dies. Nor can Spirits ever be divided
that love and live in the same Divine Principle; the Root and Record of their Friendship.
Death is but crossing the world, as Friends to the seas; they live in one another still." ~ William Penn

"Thelma" - born ~ August, 2006, adopted January 28, 2012

She was the best birthday present I ever got (she picked me).  She was sick for a long time and when she lost her buddy Lilly-Beth she rapidly went downhill.  Once again, I was lucky to have her and will always miss her.  I believe I made her happy and I know she brought me joy.

Dan Maston (January 2019

"Sawyer Derek Dixon"
December 6, 2006 - January 28, 2019

Our handsome boy left this world, peacefully and surrounded by love at the beginning of his 13th year.

Adopted from DunRoamin' Stray and Rescue at the tender age of six months, he was immediately loved beyond measure. Over the years he would gain a sister, two human brothers, two feline sisters and make multiple moves with his family where he always made friends and stole the hearts of his neighbours. His days were filled with walks, naps, cuddles and once his human brothers arrived, all the goldfish crackers he could handle.

Sawyer's favourite things were sitting in fields, smelling the air, sleeping in the sun, running on the beach, lake swimming, playing in the snow, garbage eating and rolling in cow manure and various other gross-smelling things.

He will be forever remembered for his calm demeanour, sloppy, frequent kisses, human like snoring, handsome face and just being the best boy.

Left with broken hearts are his adopted parents Mike and Krista; sister Edna;  brothers Ian and Ross; new feline sisters Hagrid and Boss Baby and a huge extended family, human and animal, who will also miss him terribly.  Special thanks to Dr Shannon Monteith and Dr Mildred Allison who gave him a chance at this wonderful life. Without their compassion we would not have had this perfect soul in our lives and hearts.

Although the pain of losing him is great, it does not compare to the joy he has brought to our lives in the last 12 years.  If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.    We will see you in the next life, handsomest boy.

"Fella" came to DunRoamin' on March 1, 2019 from Florenceville where he had become ill due to the fact that his urethra had blocked and urine was backing up into his system.  All attempts to help him failed and he passed away in the arms of a loving veterinary technician.  We wish we could have known you longer, Fella.  We'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge.

"Nikola" came to us on July 30, 2018 from Woodstock where she had come to the home of a kind man who was feeding homeless cats in his area.  She was very skinny and hungry and was fortunate to have found sustenance.  She was not one of the regulars and he noticed that she had what appeared to be a large lump on her right front leg. 

Fortunately for her, Nikola was brought for help and diagnosed with a cancerous tumour on her leg which was growing quickly.  She required surgery to remove her leg to attempt to prevent the tumour from growing.  Nikola also tested positive for Feline Leukemia (FeLV) which can be spread from cat to cat (please read below).  Nikola lived with our other FeLV-positive cats Charity, Perry and Beadle until she and her friends found a family of her very own in Plaster Rock, NB. 

Nikola was born about July 30, 2016 so was about two years old, although she looks like a kitten due to her lack of nutrition.  She's a social eater who loves to have company while she eats.  She thanks Dr Rennick for his medical care and expertise. 

In early February, 2019, Nikola developed another cancerous tumour on her forehead which grew very quickly.  On March 8, 2019, Nikola left us under the loving care of her best friend and her caring veterinarian.  She will be missed and forever remembered by her human and feline friends and by all of DunRoamin'.  You are very special, Nikola.  We'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge.

Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) is found in cats worldwide.  It may be spread by saliva, nasal secretions, urine, feces and milk from infected cats.  Cat-to-cat transfer of the virus may occur from a bite wound, during mutual grooming and (though rarely) through the shared use of litter boxes and feeding dishes.  Transfer may also take place from an infected mother cat to her kittens, either before they are born or while they are nursing.

To learn more about the Feline Leukemia Virus,
please click on this link or consult your veterinarian.

"Violet" originally came to us on August 11, 2007 from the Perth-Andover area, one of six kittens who needed help.  She had been adopted along with her sister Holly on December 6, 2007 to Perth-Andover where they lived happily.  However, due to family circumstances, they were returned to us on July 21, 2017.

Violet is a beautiful cat who was born about September 21, 2007.  Violet displayed a couple of lumps which were assessed and treated.  Neither she nor her sister wanted to eat much when they first arrived, but with attention, medication and care they were soon fine.  Violet lived with a half dozen other cats and although she was a little cranky to have to share attention at first, she soon agreed to share the space, although she would have preferred fewer cats to share it with! 

Violet has a large tumour on the side of her neck which is monitored closely, but she's doing just fine and it did not appear to be detrimental to her healthy - she's friendly, happy and sassy when she needs to be!  She's a very lucky little girl to have the attention and care that she receives on a daily basis.  As of September 31, 2018, she has had the honour and joy of being fostered with her sister, Holly, in Fredericton.  Thanks, Nushka, for allowing the sisters to be together again!

We are sad to report that on March 22, 2019, Violet left us.  Her tumour had grown in size and was now causing respiratory distress.  She left us surrounded by her loving foster mother and friend.  We are so grateful that she got to have such a wonderful home with her foster mother and her sister.  Thanks again for giving her this wonderful and generous opportunity.  We'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge, Violet.

"Zadan" came to us from Summerfield on April 5, 2019, along with his mother, Tirade and three siblings Audio, Video and Doppler. His entire family was very sick with upper respiratory.  His mom had been born about April 5, 2016 but he and his siblings were only about five days old, born about April 1, 2019.

All cats were seriously ill with upper respiratory infection and, sadly, Zadan did not get to us in time to be helped.  He left us on April 5, 2019, far too soon.  We wish you the best, Zadan, and will see you at Rainbow Bridge where you're happy, healthy and playing in the bright, warm sunshine.

"Charity" came to us from Temperance Vale on December 4, 2017.  She was a stray who was being fed and sheltered but no one was able to care for her injuries.  Examination by her vet revealed that she was born about December 4, 2009.  Her injuries consisted of a broken jaw and all the terrible things that go with not being able to eat because of it.  Her mouth was infected from the injury and emitted a very strong odour of decay.  She was quickly cleaned up, x-rayed and started the process of treatment to help her.  Charity tested positive for Feline Leukemia.

On December 5, 2017, she underwent surgery to have her jaw wired back together.  Charity had much to overcome, but she did just fine.  She was initially timid and unsure of us, but it didn't take long to realize she was now safe, warm and had lots of friends.  She's had a rough go, but she was right where she needed to be to get help.

As of May 20, 2018 Charity was doing very well.  She was eating up a storm of wet food and was much more pain free and comfortable.  She was spayed, the wires were removed from her jaw and her ear was reassessed for polyps.  Charity has experienced some seizures in the past, but her vet was on top of that with medication and care! 

Charity is a beautiful little girl.  She walked in circles and yelled at us to pick her up and play with her.  She loved to curl up in a ball beside you and follow you around to ask for affection.  She was on medication daily which was mixed in with her food and she did just fine.  She was very hopeful for a permanent home or a foster home where she could interact with other people or cats and she wanted to live in a household with no other cats so her FeLV can't be transmitted to them, or in a home with a cat who already has FeLV.  In September, 2018, she had the honour of being invited to live in a foster home with her other FeLV friends Nikola, Beadle and Perry and was very happy for the opportunity to have her own bed, window sill and lots of friends and loving!

We are very sad to report that on April 26, 2019, Charity left us.  She passed away peacefully in the company of her feline friends who will miss her terribly, as will the rest of her family.  We'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge, Charity.

"Volt" came to us on May 1, 2019 from Richmond Corner, NB where he had been observed in a tree at about 5:30 am.  He was approximately 25 feet off the ground and appeared to be wedged in the "V" formed by a branch and the tree trunk.  Kind people did everything they could to extricate him, but were able to do so.  The SPCA attended and were able to get him down with the help of a very long ladder and a net.

Volt was examined at the Florenceville Veterinary Clinic where it was learned that he was very cold to the point that his temperature wouldn't register, he was shaking, had a broken back, broken teeth, torn nails and had blood in his urine.  We're not sure what happened to this poor little guy, but he had obviously been very seriously injured.

Volt was immediately warmed up and given medication to help relieve his pain.  Unfortunately, his injuries were too severe and he left us shortly after his arrival.  We're glad you were warm and pain-free at the end, Volt.  We thank all who had a part in trying to help you.  We'll see you at Rainbow Bridge.

"Halle" came to us on April 29, 2019 from Oakland, NB.  She was emaciated, missing fur, couldn't walk on her own and was not eating.  She was immediately assessed by her new vet and provided with pain medication and all other required medical assistance.  Halle was fostered by a caring vet tech to ensure she got all the love and medical attention she required.  She was happy to have lots of love, attention and delicious food, all of which she gratefully accepted.  Halle was born about April 29, 2009.

We're sad to say that despite all medical intervention, Halle left us on May 7, 2019.  She was well loved and cared for during this time.  We wish we'd met you sooner, Halle.  We are comforted by thoughts of you running happily and playing in the green grass and warm sunshine at Rainbow Bridge with so many of our beloved DunRoamin' friends.  But we wish we could have known you longer.  Rest in peace, Halle.  We won't forget you.

"Andre" came to DunRoamin' on May 17, 2019 from the Stickney area where he had been known to be a stray living on his own for approximately five years. Unfortunately, no one had been able to take him in and his luck had finally run out.  He was estimated to be at least ten years old.

Andre had apparently been struck by a motor vehicle and had sustained a broken hock, a dislocated hind leg and head trauma.  His ears also displayed what appeared to be cancerous-type tumours. He had fleas and was hypothermic - very cold.

Andre was not in good shape, but everything possible was done to make him comfortable and to ensure he got the best possible medical assistance, love and attention.  Sadly, he left us in the late evening of May 20, 2019.  We are grateful for all the warmth and concern he received from the staff of the Florenceville Veterinary Clinic since his arrival, including the staff who volunteered their time on the Victoria Day weekend to ensure he was cared for.  We'd especially like to thank Dr Monteith - they were special to each other, and he will not be forgotten.

"Elva" came to DunRoamin' on February 28, 2019 from the NB SPCA.  She had foul-smelling mammary masses and long nails.  She was born about February 28, 2006, so is a senior citizen.

Elva's mammary masses were removed, she was spayed, vaccinated, treated for parasites and was soon doing well, thanks to medical intervention and the care of her loving foster family.  Elva sent us the following so everyone could get to know her: 

"Hi.  My name is Elva.  I adore humans and LOVE to snuggle SUPER close to them on the couch.  I am very food motivated and I know how to "sit" like a pro.  I am kennel trained and house trained.

"I'm good with other dogs, but cats excite me, so I will need a home with felines who can put up with my nosiness!  I do like to guard my food, so a home with older children would be best.  I am figuring out what toys are, and so far, they're GREAT!  I especially love my green plastic ball.

"I am very active for my age - no one can believe I am 13!  Unfortunately, I wasn't spayed when I was younger and developed cancerous tumors as a result.  They have been removed, but they might come back, so I need an owner who will routinely check my belly for new bumps and take me to my vet regularly.  My hair coat is short, so I won't need it cut, but I do shed and will still need regular baths!"

Elva was extremely lucky to have been chosen by a young couple in Woodstock to be their newest foster dog.  While there, she experienced the best months of her entire life.  We're sad to report that on June 2, 2019, Elva left us.  We're all very sad to know that she's not here with us now, but we know we'll see her again at Rainbow Bridge.  We thank her family who gave her the best three months of her entire life.  She knew love, care, good food, snuggles, warm soft beds, treats, hugs, affection and so many other wonderful things.  And she gave back at least an equal amount of love and gratitude. Enjoy the warmth, sunshine and friends at Rainbow Bridge, Elva.  We'll see you again.

"Snare" came to us on May 30, 2019 from Centreville.  He had been found under a stair and brought for help.  He had been caught in a snare and the condition of his wounds indicated that he had had this injury for at least a week.  The snare had broken away from where it had been attached to a solid object, but the wire had tightened around his belly in his efforts to break free.

Snare underwent three hours of surgery.  He is a sweet and loving little boy who received the very best of care at the Florenceville Veterinary Clinic.  He had many friends who checked, monitored, patted, talked to and spoiled him in his recovery.  He acknowledged this love and care with kneading paws when his caretakers patted or talked to him. Snare did his best, but unfortunately his injuries were too severe and he left us in the early hours of June 2, 2019.  We know he got the very best of love and care in his last few days but are sad he had to undergo this experience.   We are grateful to his medical staff for their efforts to help him, and we all hope that there are no other snares around to hurt his friends.  Rest well, little guy.  We'll see you at Rainbow Bridge.

"Beulah," a beautiful 10-year-old senior Rottweiler, came to DunRoamin' on January 8, 2019 from the NB SPCA, and she was very emaciated.  She immediately went into foster care with Dr Haines on her farm and steadily put on weight.  With some veterinary care, pain medication and some extra TLC, Beulah found a new lease on life.  She spent her days running and playing with her foster sisters and her evenings cuddling with her foster momma on the couch . . . and hogging the bed at night!

Beulah was such a goofy, loving yet sometimes cranky, energetic old lady who would do ANYTHING for food!  Sadly in the beginning of June, Beulah's arthritis and old injuries caught up to her and  her pain became too great for her foster momma to control.  She got to enjoy cheeseburgers and fries for her supper the night before and three bags of treats the day we had to say good by to her on June 11, 2019.  She was so very loved and is missed by all who knew the goofy old girl


"Oslo" came to us on June 11, 2019 when she was rescued, along with her sisters Oslo and Legend and brother Anakin, by the NBSPCA.  Oslo was born about May 17, 2019, so was not even a month old.  She had no mother to care for her.

Oslo was very fortunate to be accepted by Trinity, a cat who had come to us on June 10, 2019.  She had previously had kittens and was happy to bathe and feed Oslo and her three siblings. 

Oslo had a very bad case of upper respiratory infection, she was dehydrated and her eyes were glued shut with the discharge from her eyes.  She was very fortunate to be fostered by a vet tech who provides 24-hour care for her. 

On June 19, 2019, Blanca arrived at DunRoamin' from the SPCA and we realized that she was the mom of Oslo and her siblings.  Blanca took exceptionally good care of her babies, but unfortunately, Oslo and her brother Anakin (see below) contracted a disease from which they were unable to recover.  They left us on July 4, 2019.  We know they're playing in the warm sunshine at Rainbow Bridge and are grateful to know we'll see them again.

"Anakin" came to us on June 11, 2019 when he was rescued, along with his sisters Oslo, Higgins and Legend (see above), by the NBSPCA.  Anakin was born about May 17, 2019, so was not even a month old.  He had no mother to care for him.

Anakin was very fortunate to be accepted by Trinity (see above), a cat who had come to us on June 10, 2019.  She had previously had kittens and was happy to bathe and feed Anakin and his three siblings. 

Anakin's left eye was glued shut with infection, he was dehydrated and had a discharge from his eye.  Fortunately, he is now in the care of the Florenceville Veterinary Clinic where he is fostered by a vet tech to ensure he has 24-hour care.

On June 19, 2019, Blanca arrived at DunRoamin' from the SPCA and we realized that she was the mom of Anakin and his siblings.  Blanca took exceptionally good care of her babies, but unfortunately, Anakin and his sister Oslo (see above) contracted a disease from which they were unable to recover.  They left us on July 4, 2019.  We know they're playing in the warm sunshine at Rainbow Bridge and are grateful to know we'll see them again.

"Shortcake" was found in the yard of a very caring lady in Holmesville on July 22, 2019.  She had been seen in the area for about two weeks and had been being fed, but on this day she was not as skittish or timid, so something was obviously wrong.

Shortcake was immediately delivered to medical assistance at the Florenceville Veterinary Clinic where she was given pain medication, food, warmth and care.  Sadly, the best was not to be for this beautiful little long-haired black cat.  She was only about a year old.

We know she's now pain free and safe at Rainbow Bridge.  We all thank the people who helped her - and so does she.

"Truex," previously DunRoamin's Emerson, was adopted to a wonderful family on March 20, 2018. He was loved beyond measure by everyone in his family. We're sad to report that Truex crossed Rainbow Bridge last week, surrounded by those whom he loved. His family misses him terribly, but is grateful to have had the short time with him that they did. He'll always hold a special place in their hearts, and they'll always remember the look of love he had on his face every time he looked at them. You will be missed, sweet boy.

Truex, ~ 16 Dec 11 - 16 Aug 19

"Glenn" (aka Glennie) Allaby, 2003 - 19 Aug 2019

It's with sadness that I said goodbye to my Glennie today.  He has lived with me since March 2010 as a foster from DunRoamin' Stray and Rescue.  I'm so thankful that he and DunRoamin' gave me that privilege.  He will be loved and missed but I know he's now healthy, happy and having fun hanging out with Hattie and the rest of the Crew as well as with his cousins, aunts and uncles who have gone before him.  Before he bounced off, he asked me to write the following for him since he was getting hard of hearing and was having a hard time seeing.  The following are  his words, not mine:

"Well, I'm off on my next great adventure. I'm going to meet up with my favourite dog sibling Hattie and finally get to meet Squeaker 1 and Cinnamon 1 and see Paul 1, Bear 1 and . . . well, let's just say the whole family that are at the Rainbow Bridge.  I'm sad to leave my mom, Auntie Rayma and Uncle Dave, but they know I need to go.  Maybe I'll get a chance to see Nanna.  Now for my biography:

Years 0 - 6 - not sure where I was born, or when, but in 2010 I was found at a feral cat colony in Lakeville, NB.  I wasn't feral but I was living the life.  I was a dad.  Had good food and was enjoying things.  Then I was caught (which wasn't that hard, I WASN'T feral).  I figure I decided to run to where there were some pretty girls to hang out with as I am so very handsome.  Anyway, in the fall of 2009, I went to DunRoamin' Stray and Rescue.  While there, I had the lump in my ear taken out - they shaved half my head bald so I wasn't quite as handsome as I normally am, but hey, I was half bald.  My mom was volunteering at the time and she and Aunt Martha decided that if she ever got her own place, she'd foster me.  That happened in my 7th year.

March 2010 - August 2019 - yep, I was a foster for nine years.  It was the best time ever!!  I was spoiled rotten, had lots of kittens to mother . . . er, play dad to, and I know I was loved.  Everything was going great until mom and Auntie Rayma noticed there was another lump growing in my ear.  The same one that had been operated on before.  Mom called Auntie Martha and then I got to go see Auntie Dr Shannon - my favourite vet person.  So, for the next year or so I had to have more medicine put in my ear.  Really didn't like that much, but hey, that's life.  Then I started not feeling so well, so mom called and got me in again.  Auntie Rayma took me up and it wasn't great.  The tumour was back again and getting worse, not better.  I went home again, had another trip or two, I even stayed a week at the vet clinic.  On my last trip, I decided it was time.  Aunties Dr Shannon and Martha talked about it, then Auntie Martha talked to mom and mom said enough, he's gonna come home with me so we can plan his next adventure.

Today, I'm on the move - going to Rainbow Bridge and boy will it be great to see everyone!  It's time for Glennie to BOUNCE!!  Lots of love to all of ya and it's later gator - I'll see ya all again at the bridge!

"Kai" came to DunRoamin' on August 20, 2019 after being found on the side of the road in Greenfield.  He was only a few weeks old, having been born about July 1, 2019.  He was dehydrated, had pale ears and gums and had a very poor body condition.  He also was emaciated and had upper respiratory infection.

Despite his medical concerns, Kai was very happy and loving.  He eagerly accepted pats and cuddles and head butted his new FVC friends to show them his gratitude for the care he was receiving.  He was grateful to eat all the warm canned food he was given and purred happily.  He won the hearts of everyone within minutes! 

We are sad to announce that Kai was unable to overcome the ravages of his previous few weeks of life and passed away within less than 24 hours of his arrival.  We're grateful that he was loved, warm, cuddled, happy and had a full belly for his remaining time.  He's now safe at Rainbow Bridge.  We'll see you there one day, little guy.

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019, we had to help our beloved Lois make her journey across the Rainbow Bridge. I had promised her that if she didn't eat for two days, we'd take her. For Lois, who loved to eat, it was a sure sign she was ready, even if we weren't.  I guess you never really are.

Lois, aka Lo, Lois Blossom, Sweet and Lo, Lozilla, Lois Pants, Missy, Saucy Face, the Queen, the Mystic, and Miss Magoo, came to us thanks to Martha at DunRoamin' who called and asked if we'd be interested in fostering her. 

She turned 17 two Fridays before she had to leave.  We had her for a year and five months.  Even though she was blind and had no teeth, that time was filled with her surprising people with the fact she was totally blind, being Rémi's gaming companion, chasing and carrying around her "prey" toys, mostly her puffs, while she would meow at us so we'd know what bad hunters we were, cuddling any chance she got, using my right leg to pull herself onto my lap when I worked from home to seat herself on my shoulder (she's been on a lot of conference calls), sleeping on my neck or head at night, lounging in windows, napping on my laptop, playing with her brothers (mostly Derp who looks for her) and being a picky, but voracious eater.  My girl was fearless.  Everyone who met her loved her, even non-cat people. 

It may have only been a year and five months but we wouldn't trade a second of it. So if you're thinking of adding a senior pet to your family, especially one with special needs (Lo was on medicine twice a day), do it.  I highly recommend it. They're a short lease on extreme love and happiness. You'll never regret it or feel anything like it.  Give an extra cuddle to your fur babies, maybe a treat, from Lois.

"Scout" came to DunRoamin' on August 14, 2019 from Rockland where he had been abandoned by his mother and was not being fed.  He was cold and hungry.  He was born about August 10, 2019, so was only about five days old.  Scout had a cleft upper lip which did not allow him to nurse well, so thanks to a compassionate vet tech, he was fed by syringe every few hours around the clock.  He also had to be stimulated to pee and poop every few hours.

Scout also was plagued by seizures, and on August 22, 2019, he left us.  He was very fortunate to have the care he was given and is so very grateful to Kate for the love and assistance he received during his short time with us.  We're grateful, too, Scout.  We're glad you're now healthy and happy at Rainbow Bridge.  We'll see you again some day.

"Penguin" came to DunRoamin' on April 12, 2017 from Hartland, NB.  He was born about April 12, 2007.  His owner was moving into a nursing home and could no longer care for him, so we were happy to give him a home for his remaining years.  He had healed ear and tail damage and required some dental extractions, but was happy to accept o new home with us.

Penguin was fostered by a family in Currie Siding where he lived happily with many other cats.  He required ongoing medication and was grateful for the care.

On August 23, 2019, Penguin left us after a long life and many years of love and care from his foster family.  We're grateful he had the chance to stay with us for so long and his foster family will be looking forward to seeing him again one day at Rainbow Bridge.  You will not be forgotten, little Penguin.

"Ember" came to us on May 28, 2019 from Woodstock.  She had been a stray who was hanging around a home for about seven months.  When her family moved to an apartment, Ember became sick and they were not able to care for her, so she was surrendered to DunRoamin'.  She is the twenty-third animal accepted by DunRoamin' so far in the month of May, 2019.

Ember was immediately examined by her new best vet friend and was found to be unsteady on her feet, severely dehydrated and her heart was beating very fast.  She was also very thin.  Ember was diagnosed with diabetes and was prescribed insulin and a diabetic diet under the care of the Florenceville Veterinary Clinic.  She was also prescribed medication and fluids to help her overcome her health issues, and we are so very grateful for their professional and skilled care. 

Ember was soon a favourite with the vet clinic staff.  She demanded food, pats, louder music, softer music, more beds, more petting - and whatever she demanded, she pretty much received!  Her diabetes slowly became harder and harder to manage, and on August 26, 2019, she left us after another day of being spoiled by her friends at the Florenceville Veterinary Clinic.  We are all grateful to have known her - she taught us all a little about life, love, compassion and gratitude.  We'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge, Ember.  In the meantime, we're sure you're still getting all the sardines, oysters and Fancy Feast you've ever wanted, so enjoy your new home.  We'll miss you.

Linguini          Fettuccine          Ziti

Gnocchi         Penne        Tortellini

"Linguini," "Fettuccini," "Ziti," "Gnocchi," "Penne" and "Tortellini" all came to DunRoamin' on August 24, 2019 from Bath, NB where they had been found at the end of a driveway.  No mother was found and no one was able to care for them.

All were beautiful little kittens who were only about four weeks old, born about July 27, 2019. As we were completely full and more, a search went into effect to find still one more space for an additional six beautiful babies who had no one else to help them.

We are devastated to report that on August 24 little Linguini showed signs of illness.  Within 24 hours it was confirmed that all kittens were infected with panleukopenia, a deadly disease which may have been prevented should their mother have been vaccinated.  As these kittens were so tiny, vulnerable, and too young to vaccinate, they stood not a chance. Linguini, Fettuccini, Ziti, Gnocchi, Penne and Tortellini left us on the evening of August 30, 2019 after less than a week, breaking every kind heart who had met, known, cared for and loved them. 

PLEASE.  Spay/neuter and vaccinate your pets, regardless of whether they are indoor, outdoor or indoor/outdoor pets. Those simple actions can help stop so much pain, suffering and save the lives of so many. 


"Aria" came to us on September 28, 2019 from Carlow where she had been found about three weeks earlier.  She had been peeing inappropriately and her owner was no longer able to care for her. 

She was born about July 29, 2019, so was just a baby.  Aria was diagnosed with Manx syndrome, as she had been born with no tail.  She was very prone to urinary tract infections and was incontinent.  Medical care was provided in abundance, but it was soon found that she developed inflammation.  She could not urinate on her own and had to be expressed three times daily as she had no nerve endings in her bladder which would allow her to do so on her own.  Medical treatment was ineffective.  This procedure became painful, and something she detested.

On the afternoon of October 11, 2019, Aria left us.  She had love, cuddles, pain medication, lots of toys and lots of friends around her.  We are grateful to have known her, to have been able to spend time with her and express our love, as well as to receive hers in return.  We'll see you at Rainbow Bridge, Little One, where we know you are running, playing, wrestling and enjoying your new home.  We'll see you again.

"Renner" came to us on June 6, 2019 from the Oakland area where he had been found in poor physical condition and obviously required help.  Renner was born about March 28, 2019.  Renner was one of 26 cats who arrived at our door on this date, 16 of whom came from Oakland and all required immediate medical care.  We thank the person who discovered this colony all alone and brought them for help.

Renner was diagnosed with a bad case of upper respiratory infection.  He required antibiotics to help soothe his eyes and he was soon feeling much better.  He may have a permanent scar on his left eye but was happy to be warm, safe, fed and loved.  He was fostered as of July 1 with friends in Meductic and he loved it there.

We are sad to report that Renner developed a case of Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) and left us on the evening of September 22, 2019.  His family is heartbroken, but know they will see him again at Rainbow Bridge.

"Ross" came to us on August 12, 2019 from Somerville where he was observed on the side of the road and did not appear to be in good shape.  A DunRoamin' volunteer picked him up and brought him for vet care where it was learned he was cold, emaciated, painful, hungry and required his right eye to be removed due to infection.  Ross also tested positive for Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV+).

Ross's condition was treated and he was eventually well enough to join a family in Plaster Rock where he was welcomed and spoiled terribly with hugs, snuggles, all the wet food he could eat and he even got all the coffee cream he wanted.  He was very well loved and cared for.

We are sad to report that on August 30, 2019, Ross left us. Although he received all we could give him, his body was not able to recover as much as we had hoped.  His foster family misses him so very much.  Ross is now running, playing and eating everything he wants in the warm grass and sunshine at Rainbow Bridge.  We'll see you again, little boy.

"Wilson," at just a month old, came to DunRoamin' on Canada Day in 2008, along with nine brothers and sisters.  He was a cute little boy with ears that seemed too big for him; we wondered if he'd ever grow into those ears!  He was adopted to a family that November but returned to us on January 24, 2017.  He had grown into his ears, and then some. Upon his return, he weighed more than 25 pounds.

Wilson's size greatly limited his mobility.  In the beginning, he could only take a few steps before tiring, but thanks to a diet plan set forth by his vet and the diligence of his caregivers in portioning his food, he started to shed the excess weight.  No longer hindered by his weight, he could run and chase toys, climb onto furniture and jump onto a warm lap for a cuddle.  He reached his goal weight in 2019 - a svelte 14 pounds. We were very proud of him for all the changes we saw in him, even if he disliked us at times for keeping him on his diet!

It was with broken hearts and tear-filled eyes that we said goodbye to our beloved Wilson on the morning of October 21, 2019.  He had developed a blood clot that caused him pain and left him with the inability to move his hind legs.  He was surrounded by his DunRoamin' family and knew and felt only the greatest love as he made his way to Rainbow Bridge.

Things are different here at DunRoamin' without Wilson and it will be some time before we establish a new normal without him.  There are so many things that we're going to miss:  we'll miss that he was always ready for breakfast as soon as we stepped through the front door, his meows and pacing made us aware that he wanted breakfast, and he wanted it NOW!  We'll miss that a similar occurrence happened at supper time.  We'll miss that we had to keep the door closed to where we store our food - he had no qualms about ripping open bags of food to help himself.  That boy sure loved his food!

We'll miss that we had to hide Sammy's food from him.  Wilson was always so eager to taste test Sam's food and help him eat it.  We'll miss seeing them curl up near each other on the couch, and the rare times when they would curl up together.

We'll miss having him help with our admin work.  He was excellent about laying on our papers, books and pens to ensure they didn't fall off the desk.  He made sure we took frequent breaks by laying across our arms and hands.  His demand for belly rubs made the work take longer, but the loud purrs made every second worth it.

We'll miss that he had to inspect every donated item, often taking things for himself that caught his interest.  We'll miss that he always got so excited when someone came in for a visit.  He'd jump on the desk and say "Hi!" by purring loudly and demanding that he be petted.

We'll miss his personality, his mischievousness, his playfulness and LOVE for catnip, his cuddles, his loud purrs, and the many, many other things that made Wilson, Wilson.  We're honoured to have known him.  We know that he's now at Rainbow Bridge enjoying a never-ending buffet of all the best food and treats, and where the calories don't count.

We love and miss you, Wilson.

"Lucinda" came to us on October 23, 2019 from Woodstock where she had been hanging around a house for about three weeks.    They had brought her in a couple of times to feed her but let her back out again after her requests to leave.   When she arrived this time she was brought to us for help.  She was born about October 22, 2007.

Lucinda was found to be emaciated, had ear mites, fleas, was dehydrated and had some injury to her mouth which made it very difficult for her to eat - thus her emaciation.  She was cared for by her new vet friend, but she is an older cat who has obviously had a very hard time.  She was was prescribed pain medication and given healthy, nutritious food and a warm, soft bed.  Her ear infection was quite severe.  She was eating canned food only, due to the condition of her mouth. 

Lucinda has obviously been on her own for quite some time and, like too many cats, has not had an easy life.  She required a feeding tube to be inserted on October 24, 2019 to help her eat.  She also had a couple of teeth removed, but her jaw was broken also due to cancerous tumours.  She also had additional tumours growing quickly which were not treatable.

On the very sad late afternoon of Thursday, November 14, 2019, Lucinda left us, surrounded by her FVC and DunRoamin' friends and family.  She will always be remembered for her feistiness, wonderfully loving personality and the joy that she gave each of us just to have known her.  We'll see you again at Rainbow Bridge, Lucinda.

"Miata" came to DunRoamin' on May 27, 2019 from Woodstock where she had been found all alone in a car at an autobody shop.  She was only about three days old, born about May 24, 2019.  She was immediately accepted and was cared for by a volunteer vet tech as she needed round-the-clock medical care and observation to survive. 

We're sure Miata is grateful to have the care she experienced.  She had to be fed by syringe every couple of hours around the clock and had a heated Snuggle Safe to keep her warm.  She had to be stimulated to pee and poop by her foster mom, just as her real mother would do, until she was old enough to do that on her own.  Thanks to Jayme for taking in this little girl to ensure she had the best chance possible.  Because of that love and care, Miata became a strong, healthy, confident and loving little girl who was eager to join a loving family in the very near future.  Miata tested positive for Feline Leukemia, which you can read about below.

On August 30, 2019, Miata was adopted by our favourite person in Plaster Rock who willingly and lovingly accepts cats who are FeLV positive. She joins Beadle and Perry as new family members, as well as Ross.  We are so grateful.  We're all very fortunate to have you as part of our family.

We are so very to report that Miata left us on the afternoon of November 18, 2019 after developing a large tumour in her chest which prevented her lungs and heart from working properly.  We are grateful that she had the best life possible in which she attacked her humans when they weren't looking, bullied the dogs (who greatly outnumbered her in both size and number) and had the time of her life!  She will be so very much missed.  This evening was a beautiful sunset, Miata.  We're happy you have such a wonderful vantage point to see it.  We'll see you there again one day.

Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) is found in cats worldwide.  It may be spread by saliva, nasal secretions, urine, feces and milk from infected cats.  Cat-to-cat transfer of the virus may occur from a bite wound, during mutual grooming and (though rarely) through the shared use of litter boxes and feeding dishes.  Transfer may also take place from an infected mother cat to her kittens, either before they are born or while they are nursing.

To learn more about the Feline Leukemia Virus,
please click on this link or consult your veterinarian.

"Beadle" came to us on June 21, 2018 from the Woodstock area where he was part of the Community Cat Program sponsored by PetSmart Charities of Canada to spay and neuter 150 unowned cats in the Woodstock area.  Unfortunately, Beadle was not well.  He had diarrhea, was skinny and tested positive for Feline Leukemia.  He was born about April 11, 2017.

Beadle was treated for his illness and was soon back to health.  He hoped that someone would like to help him by giving him a home . . . please?  A very kind lady offered to foster him and his friend Perry (see above) and they went to stay there on September 10, 2018. 

On May 26, 2019, we learned that Beadle didn't want to leave his foster home and Perry (see above) agreed.  They sweet-purred their foster mother like no had ever done before, and now they're permanent members!  It was just a technicality, in their mind, but it's OFFICIAL NOW!  Congratulations to all!  Thanks, Angie!

We are very sad to report that on the late afternoon of November 18, 2019, Beadle left us.  He was diagnosed with very low red and white blood counts which made him very ill.  He will be long be remembered by his friends and family.  He is now at Rainbow Bridge giving Miata a good grooming!  He was a very special cat and he will be missed.

Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) is found in cats worldwide.  It may be spread by saliva, nasal secretions, urine, feces and milk from infected cats.  Cat-to-cat transfer of the virus may occur from a bite wound, during mutual grooming and (though rarely) through the shared use of litter boxes and feeding dishes.  Transfer may also take place from an infected mother cat to her kittens, either before they are born or while they are nursing.

To learn more about the Feline Leukemia Virus,
please click on this link or consult your veterinarian.

Back to the Top

♥ This website lovingly created and maintained by DunRoamin' volunteers ♥
We welcome your comments at feedback@dunroaminstrayandrescue.com